Here are some important items to note:
Select clothing, footwear, school supplies and backpacks (that aren’t defined as luggage, briefcases, or athletic bags) are part of the tax free list – they must be under $100.
Qualifying items can be purchased online, by phone or mail as long as the item is both delivered and paid for during the exemption period or the customer pays for the item and the seller accepts the order during the exemption period for immediate shipment, according to the TX state comptroller.
Here are the items that qualify during the national Tax Free Weekend (for a full list head to the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts website).
- Generally NOT tax exempt: example bows, headbands, watches, etc.)
- Backpacks (Not exempt unless for use by elementary/secondary students)
- Baseball caps (also fishing, golf)
- Baseball jerseys
- Knitted caps or hats
- Mask, cloth and disposable fabric face masks
- Baby bibs
- Baby clothes
- Baby diapers
- Cross trainers
- Flip-flops (rubber thongs)
- Running (without cleats)
- Sneakers and tennis